Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time For Everything

Where does the time go....

Two kids later and I want to find every parent I ever judged their parenting skills/method and apologize to them for ever trying to imagine I could do the parenting thing much better.

You know what I mean..You know those kids you see throwing tantrums in the stores and you cut your eyes sideways at the parents and think to yourself...They need to be firmer with thier kids! or my kids would never try that with me??

Or you know that mother you know who never seems to have time for herself and you think gosh when I become a mother I will make sure I balance it better and be sure to have me time to take care of myself..Please which mother thinks there is enough time for having your hair neat, manicure and pedicure always fresh? Makeup always flawless......

Bottom line is that parenting is one of the most all encompassing roles you could ever have. So I constantly compare notes with my friends in the Western World who don't have access to domestic help and though yes they are more frazzled, parenting in Lagos isn't a walk in the park either. Domestic staff though easily accessible here are SERIOUSLY lacking in quality..Very few people here with multiple nannies can truly be comfortable with the staff they have at home taking care of their kids. Multiple stories abound with nanny's who do things from petty crimes to the more heavy duty crimes (God forbid we encounter these)

I think I am just getting to the point where I am able to carve out time for all the things I want to try and be - Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Employer, Employee, House Manager..... while trying to look stylish in Lagos that is a discussion for another day!