Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Knowledge..

So I recently hired a nanny who at the time she was being hired didn't understand english, the interview had to be conducted in our local language. My hubby had a problem with this because we have toddlers and he didn't want them around someone who didn't speak English. However we discussed this a bit further and the other things outweighed this concern..she had a good attitude, she seemed to be a hardworker, willing to learn and came from a somewhat trusted source plus it wouldnt have hurt for our kids to pick up the language.

She has been with us now for a month and in the beginning I did wonder whether it was the best decision...All communication had to be in the language. My daughter got frustrated when she was trying to communicate with her and she didnt understand what she was saying (in English). Luckily we have another nanny who can speak both English and the local dialect such that she could bridge the gap as necessary. On the plus side we did notice that our toddler was picking up some local language.

Imagine my surprise then today when I overheard a discussion between the non-english speaking nanny with my toddler and she - the nanny said a whole sentence in English to my daughter! I couldn't hide my surprise and amazement. I commented on it and she responded with such a pleased smile and said that she has been learning from my 3 year old!!

Amazing how this very young relationship is one of the most basic ones and both parties are able to learn from each other? A 3 year old and a 25 year old mother who is working as a nanny. It just made me appreciate how no one has monopoly on Knowledge and people must always be open minded!

No comments: